Final Reflective Statement

Continuing on with my past projects, Premise and Minor, I have finally completed my final project at university. Over the course of 3 years I feel that my modelling skills have significantly improved and my love for environment modelling has grown larger. This final journey has been a wild ride. I thoroughly enjoyed creating this little futuristic world inspired by South Korea and Overwatch alongside Cyberpunk/Futuristic themes. I enjoy these themes a lot so I am grateful that I could focus on these themes for my project. 
When I started Major i was super excited to progress my work from minor even more. Unfortunately, like with all projects, the work started to take a toll on me and I found myself starting to procrastinate a little, sometimes a lot. I eventually pushed through this mental block by giving myself a short break and was able to continue my project with a better and clearer mind with more motivation. Every step of the project I encountered some trial and error situations. Such as, retexturing buildings multiple times until I found the right balance of all my themes along with a certain amount of stylisation. Each learning curve was a new personal lesson and I feel it made me develop my skills even further. More examples of learning curves were, Remodelling buildings until I found the right style to fit side by side each other, Retopologising buildings, Cutting UVs over and over again until I got it right for the textures to wrap properly without visible seams etc.
Rendering was a very stressful time for me, my renders happened to take much longer to complete, even after testing my samples at different levels multiple times to find the best settings. Also, unfortunately some of the computers at uni corrupted and some restarted meaning I had to set my renders up again with minimal days left until deadline. Although a stressful time, it gave me more experience with working under pressure and made the outcome even more fulfilling as I still managed to work even under pressure
I am now closing this chapter of my life with a project that I am proud of creating in the time that I was given. I gave it my all even though there were days where I felt like giving up or where I procrastinated too hard…I pushed through to the end and I am proud that I could put to use the skills that I have accumulated over these past few years on this course. When I started I knew absolutely nothing about Maya now I love creating little worlds that stem from my wild imagination. On this project especially, I learnt to love modelling environments even more and I developed an interest in the texturing and lighting side of things too. I enjoyed seeing the lights work in my scene set the mood and bring the world to life.   
I am excited to see where my skills take me in my future adventures within the creative industry world.


Comments

Popular Posts